The Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman says the nuclear deal concluded between Iran and world powers in 2015 is a matter of the past and is not open to any renewed negotiations, noting that a change in US leadership will not alter this fact.
Saeed Khatibzadeh made the remarks in a Monday news conference while reacting to reports that the administration of US president-elect, Joe Biden, will set new conditions for Iran before it rejoins the landmark nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), from which Washington unilaterally withdrew in 2018.
“We don’t know anything about these conditions and such things and what various think tanks say is not a basis for our judgement,” the spokesman said.
Khatibzadeh added, “What has been announced by me, the [Iranian] foreign minister and [the government of] Iran is that the JCPOA is the fruit of long-term talks; not just between Iran and the US, but between Iran and five permeant members of the United Nations Security Council in addition to the EU and Germany, which has been made obligatory through the UN Security Council Resolution 2231. [Therefore,] it would be simplistic if anybody thought that JCPOA could be renegotiated and [it is a fact that] this agreement has been done and sealed.”
Iran has repeatedly announced that the JCPOA is a matter of the past and, therefore, it is not possible to reopen and renegotiate it, he emphasized.
“A rogue state and a regime at the White House has left a final and binding agreement and violated its obligations under [UN Security Council Resolution] 2231, and it is clear that very serious damage has been inflicted on the Islamic Republic and the Iranian nation in this regard. This [process] exposes the US to legal and definite liability,” Khatibzadeh pointed out.
The Foreign Ministry spokesman added that the natural outcome of this state of affairs is that Iran is now in the claimant position and the US must account for its illegal behavior, which is also against international law and the rights of the Iranian nation.
He added that Iran would use everything in its power to safeguard its national interests as the country has overcome serious hurdles in recent years and made major achievements in the fields of production and technology, and will certainly pursue diversification in its foreign trade.
The spokesperson said the failure of the US’ so-called maximum pressure campaign, which Tehran regards as Washington’s most unsuccessful policy since the victory of the 1979 Islamic Revolution, is a major achievement for the Iranian people.
US President Donald Trump, a hawkish critic of the landmark nuclear deal, unilaterally withdrew Washington from the agreement in May 2018, and unleashed the “toughest ever” sanctions against the Islamic Republic in defiance of global criticism.
The US unleashed the so-called maximum pressure campaign and targeted the Iranian nation with draconian restrictive measures in order to bring it to its knees, but Iran’s economy keeps humming and is getting back on its feet.
Following its much-criticized exit, Washington has been attempting to prevent the remaining signatories — the UK, France, China and Russia plus Germany — from abiding by their commitments and thus kill the historic agreement, which is widely viewed as a fruit of international diplomacy.
Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei last month called US efforts and sanctions against Iran as manifestation of atrocity and “truly criminal,” but said the Islamic Republic will continue to resist until it brings as much disgrace upon Washington as possible.
The country “will keep up its steadfastness and resistance until turning America’s maximum pressure into maximum disgrace and a source of regret for them,” Ayatollah Khamenei stated.