The second-in-command to Israel’s PM Netanyahu says the US is preparing for potential use of military action against Iran’s nuclear energy program.
Speaking on Tuesday, Moshe Yaalon referred to “preparations, mainly American for now, for the possibility that military force” will be used, Reuters reported.
He cited the preparations as Washington’s renewed push against Tehran’s nuclear energy program, which he said has started since the reelection of zionsit US President Barack Obama. Yaalon referred to ongoing sanctions against Iran as another instance of the renewed pressure.
“And indeed it has been renewed,” he said in reference to the alleged anti-Iran efforts.
The official further pointed to the efforts made in the past aimed at sabotaging Iran’s nuclear energy program, but steered clear of associating Tel Aviv with the sabotage.”Sometimes malfunctions happen there – worms, viruses, explosions…”
The United States, Israel, and some of their allies have repeatedly accused Iran of pursuing non-civilian objectives in its nuclear energy program.
Iran argues that as a signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), it is entitled to develop and acquire nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.
In addition, the IAEA has conducted numerous inspections of Iran’s nuclear facilities, but has never found any evidence of divergence towards military objectives in the Islamic Republic’s nuclear energy program.
Israel, the only possessor of nuclear weapons in the Middle East, is widely known to have between 200 and 400 nuclear warheads.
The Israeli regime rejects all the regulatory international nuclear agreements — the NPT in particular — and refuses to allow its nuclear facilities to come under international regulatory inspections.
Earlier in the month, the UN Security Council passed a resolution, calling on the Israeli regime to open its nuclear program to IAEA inspection and join the NPT.